RedTacton Technology is a new and emerging technology based on Human Area Networking technology that was introduced by Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (NTT’s) who combined TACTON – “touch-act-on” Meaning “action triggered by touching” and RED – It is an auspicious color in Japanese culture for warmth and love, thus creating the name RedTacton. It is a technology that uses the human body’s surface as a secure, high-speed network transmission path. RedTacton is a game-changing technology that enables reliable high-speed HAN for the first time. Bluetooth, infrared communications (IrDA), radio frequency identification systems (RFID), and other technologies have been proposed in the past to solve the “last meter” connectivity problem. However, they all have fundamental technical constraints that limit their utility, such as a steep drop in transmission speed in multi-user scenarios, which causes network congestion.
- RedTacton makes use of the minute electric field emitted by the human body’s surface. It is not the same as wireless or infrared in terms of technology.
- When a part of the human body comes into contact with a RedTacton transceiver, a transmission path is generated. Separating physically breaks the touch and consequently the connection.
- Communication begins with RedTacton when terminals carried by the user or implanted in devices are coupled in various combinations based on the user’s natural, bodily movements.
- Any body surface, such as the hands, fingers, arms, feet, face, legs, or chest, can be used to communicate. RedTacton also operates through shoes and apparel.
Features of RedTacton
RedTacton has three main functional features:
- Touch: Touching, grabbing, sitting, walking, stepping, and other human actions can be used to open or lock equipment, start or stop it, or acquire data.
- Broadband and Interactive: Even with duplex operations and multiple users accessing the network at the same time, bandwidth does not degrade! At a maximum speed of 10Mbps, duplex, interactive communication is possible. Because the transmission line is on the body’s surface, transmission speed does not suffer in congested regions where many people are communicating simultaneously.
- Any media: Aside from the human body, many conductors and dielectrics can be employed as transmission media. Conductors and dielectrics can also be used together.
RedTacton Mechanism of Operation
Working Mechanism of RedTacton
RedTacton takes a different technical approach. Instead of relying on electromagnetic waves or light waves to carry data, RedTacton uses weak electric fields on the surface of the body as a transmission medium.
- The transmission principles of RedTacton make use of a weak electric field present on the surface of the human body.
- The receiver principle of RedTacton senses changes in the weak electric field on the surface of the body caused by the transmitter.
- RedTacton relies upon the principle that the optical properties of an electro-optic crystal can vary according to the changes of a weak electric field.
- RedTacton detects changes in the optical properties of an electro-optic crystal using a laser and converts the result to an electrical signal in an optical receiver circuit.
Multiple transceivers can be used at the same time. This is due to RedTacton’s proprietary CSMA/CD (Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection) protocol, which allows multiple nodes to access the same medium at the same time.
Mechanism of communication with RedTacton
The naturally existing electric field generated on the human body’s surface fades into the soil. As a result, this electric field is extremely feeble and unstable. NTT’s photonic electric field sensor measures weak electric fields by detecting changes in the optical characteristics of an electro-optic crystal with a laser beam.
The transmitter is made up of a transmitter circuit that generates electric fields toward the body and a data sense circuit that detects both transmission and reception data and outputs control signals corresponding to the two modes to enable two-way communication.
To avoid packet collisions, implement a receive-first half-duplex communication strategy that sends only after ensuring that there is no data to receive. RedTacton makes use of the previously unnoticed electromagnetic field that surrounds the human body.
RedTacton Ubiquitous Services
Existing communication methods, including cable and wireless communication technologies, provide for simple connections (no connectors required), yet the signals can fade out, resulting in connection time out. Furthermore, as the signals arrive, they can be intercepted (posing security concerns).
Wired technologies, on the other hand, send signals between two points and so avoid interceptions (thereby guaranteeing security). However, cables between ends can be a source of concern in this situation. RedTacton is a one-meter solution to close-range communication that sits between wireless and wired technology. RedTacton has accomplished close-range communication as a result of its concentration on ubiquitous computing services. As a result, RedTacton is a combination of wired and wireless systems. It enables for connection without connectors and data transmission between only two contact points, ensuring security.
Triggers for locking or unlocking, starting or stopping equipment, or obtaining data can all be accomplished via the touch function. Any of these conditions can result in communication, resulting in computing’s “everywhere” presence. Duplex communication is possible with the broadband and interactive features at a throughput speed of 10mbps.
RedTacton has wide variety of services; some of the services are as follows
RedTacton used in one-to-one services
- Allow for one-on-one services suited to the user’s situation and preferences.
- The attributes captured in the RedTacton device are transferred to the touched items.
- Based on the attribute information received by the RedTacton receiver, the appropriate service is supplied.
RedTacton eliminates human error
- RedTacton devices implanted in medicine bottles send data about the medicine’s properties. If the user touches the incorrect medicine, an alarm on the terminal he is holding will sound.
- The alert only sounds when the user touches the prescription bottle, eliminating false alarms that are prevalent with passive wireless ID tags that might be triggered just by proximity. Construction site risk avoidance. (An alert is triggered if anyone other than supervisors handles special equipment.)
Use of RedTacton in Marketing Applications
- When a consumer stands in front of an advertising panel, advertising and information matching his or her attributes is automatically displayed.
- By touching or standing in front of items they are interested in, consumers can get more in-depth information.
- Within a store, customers can read product information on their mobile devices instantly after touching a product.
Use of RedTacton in Intuitive operations
- The trigger is natural movements and actions (touch).
- Transceivers implanted in two terminals can exchange not just data but also control or configuration instructions required to operate devices (broadband &interactive).
- Print wherever you want by just touching the target printer with one hand and a PC or digital camera with the other.
- By downloading device drivers “at first touch,” complicated settings are reduced.
- With a single touch, songs may be transferred from notebook PCs to portable music players.
Use of RedTacton in Instant private data-exchange
- Personal profile data can be transmitted between mobile terminals on the user by shaking hands (Electronic exchange of business cards).
- Using authentication and encryption technology, communication can be kept secret.
- Digital camera group images are promptly sent to each individual’s mobile terminal.
- Diagrams drawn on white boards during meetings are instantly uploaded to individual mobile terminals.
Use of RedTacton in Personalization
- With a single touch, you can instantly tailor your digital lifestyle.
- In a mobile terminal with a built-in RedTacton transmitter, a pre-recorded configuration script can be embedded.
- Personalization data and configuration scripts can be downloaded automatically when another device with RedTacton capabilities is touched.
Use of RedTacton in Personalization of mobile phones
- Your personal phone number is assigned, and billing begins.
- Import of personal address book and call history automatically.
- By merely touching the mouse, the PC is set to the user’s specifications.
Use of RedTacton in Personalization of automobiles
- Simply sitting in the automobile adjusts the seat position and steering wheel height to fit the driver.
- In the car navigation system, the driver’s home is specified as the destination.
Use of RedTacton in New behavior pattern
- As RedTacton communication media, various conductors and dielectrics can be utilized, which has the potential to develop new behavior patterns. Partitions and walls can be utilized as communication media.
Use of RedTacton in Conferencing System
- The table has an electrically conducting sheet. Simply placing a laptop on the table initiates a network connection.
- The table can be segmented into subnets by using different sheet patterns.
- The use of walls and partitions as communication media eliminates the need for building to install electrical wire.
- It is feasible to perform ad hoc networking with conductive liquid sprays.
Use of RedTacton in Wearable
- RedTacton can transfer music or video between headphones, mobile devices, mobile phones, and other devices.
- By merely wearing a headset or carrying a viewer, users can listen to music from a RedTacton player.
- Linking head-mounted displays
Use of RedTacton in Security Applications
- With a single touch, users are automatically authenticated and logged in.
- A mobile RedTacton gadget stores ID and privileges.
- At security checkpoints, corresponding RedTacton receivers are deployed.
- The system can give authentication and track who and when touched the gadget.
Use of RedTacton in User Verification Management
- When the user holds the doorknob normally while carrying a mobile RedTacton-capable gadget in his or her pocket, ID is validated and the door is unlocked.
- Combining personal verification techniques such as fingerprint ID or other biometric in the mobile terminal allows for secure lock management.
Advantages of RedTacton Applications
- RedTacton does not require the electrode be in direct contact with the skin.
- High-speed communication is possible between two arbitrary points on the body.
- Body-based networking is more secure than broadcast systems, such as Bluetooth which have high range of about 10m.
- Network congestion due to fall in transmission speed in multiuser environments is avoided.
- Superior than Infrared technology
- Superior than Wi-Fi.
- It has no compelling applications that aren’t already available.
- Too costly.
RedTacton has no effect on the body surface of the human medium as transmission and reception take place. This is because the RedTacton transceivers are completely protected by insulin film which insulates the body path. Nonetheless, it should be noted that some displacement current is generated by the electrons in the body due to minute electrical fields. However, such displacement currents are common to us especially with the use of most electrical appliances and are within the standards [RCRSTD-38] issued by the Association of Radio Industries and Businesses [ARIB].
- The transmitting and receiving electrodes of the RedTacton transceiver are completely covered with insulating film, so the body of the person acting as the transmission medium is completely insulated. This makes it impossible for current to flow into a person’s body from the transceiver.
- When communication occurs, displacement current is generated by the electrons in the body because the body is subjected to minute electrical fields. However, such displacement currents are very common everyday occurrences to which we are all subjected.
Human body networking is more secure then broadcast systems, such as Bluetooth, which have a range of about 10m.With Bluetooth; it is difficult to rein in the signal and restrict it to the device you are trying to connect to. You usually want to communicate with one particular thing, but in a busy place there could be hundreds of Bluetooth devices within a range. As human beings are effective in aerials, it is very hand to pick up stray electronic signals radiating from the body. This is good for security because even if you encrypt data it is still possible that it could be decoded, but if you can’t pick it up it can’t be.
RedTacton use of electro-photonic field sensor approach has earned in an edge above others technologies and has shown is the last 1m close-range technology. Its communication distance, speed of transfer, and interactivity has enhanced its ubiquitous services. RedTacton has no security issue as human body surface is the communication path and connection is between ends. A good handshake exists among devices and people. The main issue today is speed and has been resolved by RedTacton by giving 10mbps speed within a proximity range (1m).
In the near future, as more and more implants go into bodies, the most important application for bodybased networking may well be for communications within, rather than on the surface of, or outside, the body. An intriguing possibility is that the technology will be used as a sort of secondary nervous system to link large numbers of tiny implanted components placed beneath the skin to create powerful onboard or in-body computers. So we can conclude that this technology will change the future of wireless communication.