he Fred Hollows Foundation (The Foundation) is a secular non-profit public health organization based in Australia.
Consultant – Cataract Business Case
Closing date: 24 Jun 2022
Invitation to submit an Expression of Interest to conduct a business case on benefit for investment in cataract surgery in Rwanda.
The Fred Hollows Foundation (The Foundation) is a secular non-profit public health organization based in Australia. The Foundation focuses on strengthening eye health systems and the treatment and prevention of avoidable blindness caused by Cataract, Trachoma, Diabetic Retinopathy, and Refractive Error. The Foundation operates in more than 20 countries across Australia, The Pacific, South and South East Asia, and Africa. The Foundation has been working with the Government of Rwanda through the Ministry of health since 2007 implementing various projects in the eye health sector with emphasize on cataract surgery and currently implementing a project on Integrating Eye Health into Performance-Based Financing (PBF).
Currently, the Ministry of Health in collaboration with eye care development partners is planning to develop the cataract business case which provides much information on its impact on social-economic factors and the expectations to have more stakeholders investing in cataract surgery through sustaining the existing strategies or through other innovative strategies aimed to support the eye care in Rwanda with aim to increase the services delivery and also in the achievement of global initiative as raised in the sustainable development goals and the vision of the Ministry of Health in its strategic plan.
The Foundation in collaboration with the Ministry of Health is seeking expressions of interest from individuals or consulting companies to conduct and develop a cataract business case analysis for eye health in Rwanda, as described in the attached terms of reference. It is expected that this study will Provide a clear and up-to-date analysis of cataract surgery needs and gaps, in-country plans and Propose options on how-to step-up efforts to meet current and future needs in a sustainable manner.
Qualification and experience:
International Consultant (1)
- Higher education in health financing, health economics or public health.
- At least 10 years of progressive professional experience related to optimization in health care, design of health strategy and financing reform documents with a track record of experience in developing investment case or business case in primary health care/Eye health, Research in Health, resource mobilization, health worker motivation, and financing.
- Demonstrated successful experience in evidence-based publications, resource mobilization, cost effective analysis, financial sustainability plans, policy briefs, strategies, guidelines, reports;
- Being familiar with analysis of complex data using advanced software is desirable.
- Experience of working in Africa especially with Governments and partners.
- Fluency in English with excellent writing, analytical, and communication skills.
National Consultants (2)
- Advanced university degree in public health, medicine, Health Economics, specialized in Ophthalmology will be an added value or other related fields.
- Having experience in epidemiology and Burden of Disease modelling. Understanding health economics will be an asset
- Knowledge of Rwanda health systems with special consideration of eye health, especially primary health.
- 10 years of practical work experience in development cooperation with in-depth knowledge of Health economy development.
- At least 5 years of proven experience in evaluating complex programmes in African countries – references should be available
- Ability to analyze and translate results into practical guidance and present them in an appropriate format.
- At least 5 years of progressive professional experience in the design of public health strategies, policies, and related documents;
- Demonstrated successful experience in completing consultancy assignments with the health sector and developing of evidence-based publications, strategic plan, policy briefs, strategies or guidelines, reports;
- Fluency in English with excellent writing, analytical, and communication skills. Knowledge of French is also desirable.
- Availability to deliver the project within a period of two months (60 days) from the date of commencement.
Expressions of interest (EOI) should include:
- A brief written response to the following questions (maximum 1 page):
- Why are you interested in this assignment?
- What expertise and experience do you and your organization bring to the task?
- A succinct technical proposal on your recommended approach to assignment, including an outline of your daily rates/total cost and any other expenses that would apply to this assignment per attached ToR.
- Your CV outlining your relevant experience and qualifications
- Copies or links to two reports of recent similar assignments you have conducted.
How to apply
The selection of the consultant will be based on EOIs and interviews with shortlisted candidates. The consultant must have their own adequate insurance cover, including for travel, professional indemnity and public liability. The selected consultant must also adhere to and be willing to sign The Foundation’s Code of Conduct for Working with Children.
Please direct inquiries you have regarding the evaluation or TOR to:firstname.lastname@example.org
Please review the attached terms of reference carefully. To express interest in undertaking the work described, please submit the following documents by email to: email@example.com, by 24th June 2022.