Nigeria’s Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has reportedly directed the National Broadcasting Commission to shut down the new season of Big Brother Naija.
According to The Cable, the acting DG of NBC, Armstrong Idachaba, on Wednesday, July 22, told senior management that he had been instructed by the Minister to stop the show on the possible risks of an outbreak of covid-19.
The new Directive follows the initial approval of the NBC. During the meeting, the director announced that the Commission had reiterated its query after the organizers of the show, and Multichoice gave a detailed account of the steps taken to prevent the outbreak, including the monitoring of 20 housemates, the mandatory two-week quarantine, the continuous disinfection of the house and the removal of live audiences-an integral part of the pre-pandemic show.
Mohammed’s order to the NBC is also stated to have been in an effort to distance himself from the idea that he has a vendetta against Multichoice. Although the NBC is yet to interrupt the broadcast of the programme, Idachaba is revealed that he will have no choice but to shut it down.
But in a statement by his media assistant, Segun Adeyemi, the minister said he did not make any attempts to stop the transmission of the Big Brother Naija (BBNaija) reality show.
Nevertheless, he encouraged the general public to disregard the news, stating that there was no memo to support the argument that he wanted the show to be shut down.