The Henry M. Jackson Foundation (HJF) is seeking a Technical Director to support the Walter Reed Program-Tanzania (WRP), within the United States Military HIV Research Program (MHRP), headquartered at the Walter
Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) in Silver Spring, Maryland, located in Mbeya, Tanzania.
The incumbent is responsible for the program achieving objectives executed under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PERFAR). Under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director, the incumbent will direct the WRP. The incumbent will provide leadership, management, and direction to the WRP medical, Monitoring and Evaluation and strategic information, outreach technical program and staff. This includes monitoring and coordination of all program elements within the PEPFAR portfolio executed in conjunction with government health facilities, NGOs, FBOs, and CBOs. The incumbent will be responsible for WRP program execution, direction, and development of technical staff. Technical Director position will be based in Mbeya in the Southern Highlands region of Tanzania.
1. Directs the implementation of the WRP PEPFAR program in Mbeya.
2. Manages and directs all WRP technical personnel in the development of program work plans and associated evaluation metrics to best manage program areas and relevant implementing partners.
3. Trains technical staff to utilize work plans to guide development of the country operational plan.
4. Stays current with the United States Government (USG) and Government of Tanzania guidelines/policies and ensures program activities are in line with said policies.
5. Manages the execution, implementation, and coordination of all PEPFAR activities; this includes tracking against budget forecasts as well as relevant targets within each program area.
6. Mentors in country WRP staff, transferring program management capacity to indigenous personnel.
7. Develops the capacity of implementing partners to manage activities with donor funding.
8. When necessary, serves as a technical representative to USG PEPFAR meetings in Dar es Salaam.
9. Works with MHRP HQ and others to delineate possible areas to conduct operational research or other similar activities.
10. Ensures the completeness and delivery of PEPFAR funding submissions, semi-annual and annual, and similar USG reports; directing the regular analysis of these data to inform program managers on areas of strength and need.
11. Interviews and recommends hire/termination/promotion/demotion/etc of any technical staff as needed.
12. Maintains a safe work environment with appropriate training of other personnel.
13. Supports a productive team environment.
14. Completes other projects as needed.
Desired Skills & Experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Program management experience in an international setting. Prior experience in management of HIV/AIDS programs preferred. Experience in health system strengthening shall be an added advantage. Candidate must have highly developed sense of cultural sensitivity. Proficiency in Kiswahili highly desirable.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Masters in public health or related field, experience may be substituted for education if appropriate.
Minimum Experience: 6-10 years of progressive experience in implementing international public health/development programs. 5 years field experience required. African and/or PEPFAR experience is desirable. 10+ years experience in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of international public health programs.
Please apply on-line at www.hjf.org/careers/open-jobs Click “Advanced Search” to enter job number 207375 in the Job Opening ID box.
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. is a congressionally authorized, not-for-profit corporation that provides unparalleled scientific and management services to military medical research and education programs worldwide. Our mission is to advance military medical research. AA/EEO
For a comprehensive list of our benefits, please visit:http://www.hjf.org/careers/benefits.html
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. (HJF) is a global organization dedicated to advancing military medical research. We serve military, medical, academic and government clients by administering, managing and supporting preeminent scientific programs that benefit members of the armed forces and civilians alike.