Oxfam is a global movement of people working with others to overcome poverty and suffering. We are recruiting for:
Job Title: Campaigns and Communication Coordinator
Division/Department/Location: National /West Africa /Nigeria Country Programme, Abuja Nigeria
Job Family: Programme
Level: C2. National
To work with others to overcome poverty and suffering
* To support the development and implementation of the Nigeria Campaigns programme
* To proactively and effectively communicate campaign program work, and support in development of analysis to drive evidence based advocacy and campaigning in Nigeria. Reporting Lines
Post holder reports to: Campaigns Manager
Staff reporting to this post: Nil
Budget Responsibilities: None
* Development of an action plan on media and communication and delivery of agreed plans with strategic inputs from the Livelihoods and Right to be Heard programme
* Providing specialist advice or specific skills to teams on Policy communications, and advocacy work
* Support the development and Maintenance of strong alliances with networks and coalitions of partners
* Representation in coordination meetings and maintain external relationships as requested
* Impact and influence within own team and also in partners that we work with
* Plans/objectives contribute to/broader Country programme strategy and can involve collaboration with other partners
* Requires the ability to analyse relevant national and global issues and communication or disseminate to a wide audience
* Decision-making requires significant levels of judgment based on technical experience, generally actively supported within line management or the programme team
* Role is variable with well-defined targets and/or minimum standards and is both proactive and reactive
* To play active role in media and communication, lobby and advocacy on issues related to programmes through personal contacts and co-ordination of allies
* To take part in and support in the coordination of public campaigns with partners based on agreed plan of action and objectives.
* Support the Campaigns Manager, to develop and implement the Nigeria campaign programme in line with the National Change Strategy, taking into account the strengths, gaps and interests of partners
* Work with partners, allies and OI colleagues, to develop, implements, monitor and report on work plans in line with the Nigeria campaigns strategy
* Develop and manage database entry and maintenance on advocacy work
* Provide support for the development of campaigns materials and disseminate information on campaigns to relevant OGB/OI staff in West Africa and to partners Carry out research/evidence base for Nigeria campaigns work and write campaigns stories for internal and external communications
* Support the campaigns Manager with the development of funding proposals, drawing up and monitoring of budgets
* Develop partner capacity in media and communication and mentor these strategically
* Contribute immensely towards enhancing integration of media and communication engagements as part of advocacy development in all programmes
* Support Programme Officers in building Networks to carry out advocacy on livelihoods, Market Access, Food Security, Food and Agriculture and Right to Be Heard issues in Nigeria
* Design and produce training and educational materials on media and communication for marketing the Oxfam programme
* Develops work plans and regular reports to the Campaign Manager
* Support programme partners in media and communications related capacity building and ensuring that this is integrated within programmes
* Supports in identifying potential new strategic partners for Oxfam in Nigeria and develop strategies for working with them
* Have responsibility for the monitoring and supervision of media and communication as part of advocacy related partner activities and plans in Nigeria by ensuring that these are in line with Oxfam GB strategy in Nigeria
* Document and publish Oxfam’s learning in Nigeria by regular Progress and Annual reports and contributing articles for Oxfam’s campaign Bulletin in West Africa and other relevant publications
* Maintain contact with key relevant civil servants, ministry personnel and parliamentarians (Agriculture, Women affairs, Trade, Land, Education, etc)for information and to feed these into Oxfam’s national advocacy work
* Develop and sustain relationship with the media and the civil society groups in Nigeria to feed into Oxfam’s advocacy work
* Ensuring adequate media coverage for all programme activities, functions and press releases
* Liaise with active allies to identify and help them to use rare opportunities to drive Oxfam’s corporate advocacy issues in Nigeria.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
* Coordinate MEL processes for the Agriculture Support programme and support partners in developing, and implementing M & E systems
* Manage all campaigns projects on OPAL and ensure adherence to minimum standards and coordinate in the management of these projects with the Campaigns Manager who has overall who has overall Campaigns PIP management.
Skills and Competence
* Candidate must have a minimum degree in Social Sciences, Communication Studies, Development Studies or any other related field.
* Demonstrable skills in effective media relations, experience in talking directly to media organizations and a high level of writing skills
* Demonstrable skills in direct and indirect lobbying/advocacy work (minimum 3 years), experience of campaigning in this field highly desirable
* Demonstrable broad grasp and understanding of policy issues and policy environment in Nigeria regarding livelihoods (Market Access, Trade, and Right to Be Hard)
* A demonstrable understanding of NGO Policy/advocacy work in the context of development
* Experience in capacity building and/or training skills highly advantageous
* Demonstrable and proven strong conceptual, research, analytical and writing skills.
* Demonstrable ability to work indepently, think innovatively and strategically as well as within a team
* High level interpersonal and diplomatic skills along with awareness of political sensitivities in different settings of Nigeria
* Fluency in written and spoken English
* Demonstrable understanding and experience of gender and diversity issues and commitment to addressing inequalities in all the key areas of responsibility
* Knowledge of/or competencies in quantitative and qualitative monitoring and evaluation approaches
* Experience in developing and applying M& E tools.
Application Deadline: 28th December, 2010
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit application to: email@example.com
There are no relocation allowances available for this position.
Oxfam GB is an equal employer of labour, suitable candidate living with HIV/AIDS or person with disability will have an added advantage. Women are encouraged to apply.