About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We are looking for a mid-career professional to lead One Acre Fund’s Internal Consulting Team. The team sharpens the organization’s strategy and supports other One Acre Fund teams when additional targeted resources could have an meaningful impact. (Click here to better understand the roles and responsibilities of more junior Internal Consulting Team members). In the team lead, we are looking for a leader who blends high-quality team performance management skills, with an ability to move forward strategic projects at the organizational level.
You will help guide the strategy of a $100M and growing social impact organization. Since its beginning at One Acre Fund in 2012, the Internal Consulting Team has emerged as a primary nexus through which many initiatives pass. The team takes on a broad range of projects that would be typical to a management consultancy, including high-level strategy and research, internal change management, flexible resourcing for other One Acre Fund teams, and executive communications. The main difference is in the chance to embed within the organization to guide decisions and implementation, as opposed to stopping at recommendations.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead our Internal Consulting Team. This is a 15-person internal consulting unit, consisting of the Director, two managers, five analysts, four junior analysts, and two rotational staff; all of whom conduct across many departments in our countries of operation.
- Lead all aspects of team development including hiring, staff capacity development, direct management of the ICT managers, budget, and team strategy.
- Lead project selection, assignment, and resourcing
- Serve as the primary link between the Internal Consulting Team and One Acre Fund’s leadership group
- Drive key strategic and change management initiatives on behalf of One Acre Fund as a lead consultant and project manager (equivalent of a consulting firm engagement manager). Recent projects taken on by the Internal Consulting Team include:
- Strategic planning: 5-year planning exercise – The Internal Consulting Team facilitated the creation of 5-year plans in each of our country programs.
- New initiative: Set-up of a Direct Giving pilot – Internal Consulting Team members assisted in the 18-month set-up of One Acre Fund’s Direct Giving pilot, including initial research, project design, and thought partnership with One Acre Fund’s CEO.
- Internal change management: The Director is co-leading a revamp to One Acre Fund’s performance management strategy, including a deeper focus on managerial capacity and training, hiring, and org chart management. This work has involved heavy collaboration with our People Director.
- Be an advisor to key One Acre Fund leaders, including the CEO, CFO and other C-suite executives, and Country Directors to ensure they receive superior support from the Internal Consulting Team.
We have a culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You will report directly to the CEO after a period of transition with the current Strategy & Research Director.
We are looking for candidates with 8 or more years of work experience in consulting, analytical, and entrepreneurial roles. You should have progressively increasing responsibilities in management, e.g. as an engagement manager or project leader. Candidates who fit the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Experience in consulting and strategy contexts, e.g. working with C-suite leaders, change management, or long-term planning. Experience in the social impact space is a plus.
- Experience managing team performance and developing leaders, including remote management
- Ability to roll up one’s sleeves and directly move projects forward, as opposed to solely making recommendations or presentations
- Strong data skills; advanced Excel a plus
- Eye for and standards of talent
- Humble and service-oriented approach to consulting work
- Experience working in a multicultural workplace in a developing country a plus
- Related Master’s Degree is preferred
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years
- Language: Fluent English
Preferred Start Date: Early 2020
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates: No; must have existing rights to work in our countries of operation. East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are required to Click Here to Apply
Closing date: April 5th, 2020
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.